THINK ABOUT YOUR EYES; THE DANGERS OF BLUE LIGHT AND UV
Light plays an essential role in everyday life
Light is fundamental for vision. It is needed for perception of the surrounding world: shapes, details and colours.
Good Blue light (blue-turquoise part) is essential for overall well-being. It is necessary for regulation of the sleep/wake cycles, mood and cognitive performances.
But light can also be the cause of premature eye ageing
UV rays are as dangerous to our eyes as they are to our skin. The resulting damage accumulates over a lifetime, accelerating eye ageing and the development of cataracts.
Harmful blue-violet light was recently identified as being harmful to retinal cells. Causing long-term damage to our eyes, it can accelerate the onset of age related Macular Degeneration (AMD).
Blue-violet light increases the risk of retinal damage.
Cumulative exposure to blue-violet light has a double effect:
- It increases the production of lipofuscin, a metabolic waste material that accumulates in retinal cells with age. It is commonly known as an "age marker" that may be found in other organs
- It activates lipufuscin phototoxic components, causing retinal cell death. The accumulation of lipofuscin in retinal cells can contribute to the deposition of drusens in AMD
Preventing over-exposure of blue-violet light may decrease the death of retinal cells
UV and Blue-Violet light is present everywhere
Outdoors: Whatever the weather UV and blue-violet light is present (sunny, cloudy, rainy, etc.)
Indoors: Wherever the place blue-violet light is transmitted by low energy light bulbs and most modern digital devices, including tablets, smartphones and computers.
AT PAUL VERITY OPTICIANS WE CAN HELP TO REDUCE THESE DANGERS, WITH ESSILOR REFLECTION-FREE LENS TREATMENTS
1) Crizal's latest innovation selectively filters light
Prevents premature eye ageing by selectively filtering out harmful light:
- Reduces retinal cell death by 25% by filtering out harmful blue-violet light
- Protects from UV rays 25 times more than without lenses
Preserves your overall well-being:
- By letting in essential visible light pass through including blue-turquoise.
Provides optimal vision and durable transparency:
- By offering the best protection against reflections, scratches, smudges, dust and water
2) Crizal Prevencia
The most effective clear lens at selective light filtering:
- Blocks the harmful light: UV and harmful blue-violet light
- Lets the good light through: Including essential blue-turquoise light
Helps prevent premature eye ageing:
- Reduces the risk of cataracts and AMD
Offers the best lens protection:
- Against reflections, scratches, smudges, dust and water
Prevention against blue-violet light is recommended for everyone.
These reflection-free lens treatments are available on the full range of Essilor lenses, all available at Paul Verity Opticians, including the class-leading, no-swim Varilux S. Ask our Lens Experts for their advice on which one will be best for you.